Thursday, January 24, 2008

Lost in the Johan Santana Rumors

Every day on hundreds of blogs across the country, Johan Santana is the main focus of fans due to his impending trade demands. No one knows if he will in fact be traded, or if it is all just a dream that we all have. I would love to see him go to the Yankees or the Mets - for the same reason I want Oliver Perez on either the Yankees or the Mets. It will give me the opportunity to watch him pitch more. Any opportunity you have to see one of the greatest pitchers of a generation - you should count your blessings. I got to see Roger Clemens regulary - I was at opening day when he broke Walter Johnsons AL strikeout record. I got to see Randy Johnson - albeit at the downside of his career. I got to watch Dwight Gooden as a flamethrowin youngster and at the end of his career. I could go on about perfect games and no hitters, Jim Abbott and his one hand. If these guys never played for the Mets or Yankees I would have almost never seen them. That is why I need Johan in NY.

The thing most people are not talking about in the Johan trade rumors is the fact the Twins have someone coming back from an injury that has the ability to make the fans forget Johan pitched there. Francisco Liriano will be returning with Spring training, and from what I have seen - he has the ability to be much better than Johan. He proved it in 2006 before he got hurt. If he is back to 80% of where he was - he will have a shot at the AL Cy Young in 2008.

2002 Bowman Draft Picks
Card# BDP147


Chrome Version - (1)

No comments: