Thursday, April 23, 2009

Start #3 - 4/21/09 - ND

At least Ollie escaped this one with a ND. I didn't get to post this on my normal morning after due to a business trip to NYC (in which I got into an accident and did a bunch of damage to my QX4 - but that is another story for another time and site)

I watched this game from home while playing with kids and putting them to bed, then with my wife. As usual, as soon as Ollie was off the books and the side retired in the 5th (after Casey Fossum walked in Ollie's 4th run) I changed the channel and ceased to have any interest in the game. Ollie wasn't gonna take the loss or get a win - so there was no point for me.

After Game 2, I pointed out that Ollie's pitching motion from the wind-up had reverted back to where it was last year be for the Wharthen fix. I honestly didn't get to see if any changes had been made during game 3. Ollie walked the first batter on 4 or 5 pitches and spent pretty much the rest of the night from the stretch.

Positive note from the game - I saw the TV register a few pitches at 93, and I think even 1 at 94. This shows that the arm strength might be coming back.

Negative note from the game - Just about everything else. Ollie was able to get through 4 innings with a pretty healthy looking line - even though he had no control. He was able to get a few K's and a bunch of pop-outs - but lets face it - if he had been pulled after 4 innings with a strong line, I still would have been negative. He had absolutely no control whatsoever. In his defense there were a bunch of pitches called for balls that I thought were real close. When you are as wild as Ollie is though you dont get the benefit of the doubt. If Greg Maddux had placed the balls in the same spot I bet he gets the call!

Game 3 final line, in STL
ND - 4.2 IP, 6 H, 4 ER, 5 BB, 4 K

Year to Date Stats

3 GS (1-1) 7.80 ERA 15.0 IP, 15 K, 12 BB, 14 H, .250 BAA, 1.73 WHIP

Pretty ugly line so far - again reminding me of 2005 when he came back from the WBS I mean WBC

On a different note - Ollie has now had 4 of the runners he has left on base allowed to score. That does a pretty bad job the the ERA this time of year!

No comments: